Sunday, June 8, 2008

Friendships

The thing about friendships is that they take work. You don't just wake up one morning, and be like "I think I'll be friends with X." You have to take some time to figure out what are the things that X loves and hates. When you do something to annoy X, X needs to tell you explicitly what it was, what you could have done differently, etc - playing an elaborate game of trial and error is a waste of everyone's time and energy. If X is not willing to put a little effort into building a meaningful friendship, then despite what he or she says, he or she probably isn't truly interested in the friendship in the first place.

1 comment:

macskadék said...

Yes. And they tell you all the time it's you who needs to develop "social skills" and they tease you for lacking a "theory of mind", but darnit, friendship is a two-way thing!

BTW, I'm in the process of reading this blog thoroughly, and the last post I read was the Hungarin Nockerli (I'm going backwards). It's one of my favourite foods from our cuisine (I'm Hungarian :)) And this is a great blog you have here. Check out mine if you have time.